Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Fall Bread Pudding

Eggnog Caramel Apple Bread Pudding
 
 
I love to watch the show Chopped on the Food Network and so many chefs for the dessert round make bread pudding.  I have never been a fan of bread pudding because of the texture. So why did I make bread pudding? Well, I had some scones left over from a festival we attended and was unsure what to do with them.  While shopping for milk one day I came across some eggnog, which my husband is amazed its out this early in the season, but who cares I love me some eggnog.  I told my self that an eggnog bread pudding would be so yummy and why not throw in some apples and caramel bits.  I, of course, had no idea how to make bread pudding so I pulled out my trusty Betty Crocker cookbook to learn the foundation of a good bread pudding and then began to create my own Pudding.  I hope you enjoy this as much as my husband and I did!!
 
 
Ingredients:
2 cups eggnog
1/4 cup stick butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
4 medium sized plan scones
4 small apples, peeled and grated
1 cup caramel bits
 
Directions:
1.  Preheat oven 350 degrees.  You will want to bake this in a ramekin baking dish and spray well with oil.
2.  Heat eggnog and butter in a saucepan over medium heat until the butter has melted.  Do not allow it to boil or your eggnog will go bad.
3.  In a big mixing bowl mix together sugar, nutmeg, salt, and eggs.  Chop scones into nice square chunks throw into bowl and fold until covered.
4.  Peel your apples and grate.  Add grated apples and caramel bits into the bowl and fold
5.  Add the warm eggnog and stir till everything is well covered.  Pour into your baking dish.  Place your baking dish into a larger dish and fill the bottom dish with water.  Place into the oven.  This will bake uncovered for 45 minutes, or until the center comes out clean on the testing knife.
 
Time to make the whipped cream topping
You need:
Heavy Whipping cream
powder sugar
imitation Rum

In an electric mixer add two cups of heavy whipping cream and 1 1/2 teaspoons of imitation Rum.  Turn mixer onto high and allow to whip.  When the cream begins to thicken start to add small amounts of powder sugar.  I go by taste and not measurement so add how much you like depending on your sweet tooth. :)  Whip until the stiffness has a nice peek.  Add a nice heap of whipped cream to the top of a serving of warm Bread pudding.  Melt a few of the Caramel bits and drizzle over the top.
You are now allowed to enter sweet, yummy goodness heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment