Saturday, September 1, 2012

Key Lime cupcakes


I was asked to make cupcakes for a birthday where the brother is a nurse.  He loves his job and also loves Key Lime Pie, so I had to come up with a key lime cupcake and nursing decor.  These turned out so cute and very, very yummy!!!  The decor is all shaped out of fondant.
I also love Key lime pie so these cupcakes where so much fun to make!!  I rarely try things that I make because I hate sugar once I finish working with it but once I finished making these I ate one right away.  WOW loved it!!  The family I made them for also really liked them and gave me great review on their face book page.
Please enjoy this recipe!
Key Lime Cupcakes w/ cream cheese lime frosting
 
Cupcakes:
1 box of white cake mix
eggs
veggie oil
water
1 fresh lime
Key lime pie filling or pudding
 
1)  Make the cake box mix as the back instructs, then add the zest of one lime and the juice once zested.
2)  Bake the cupcakes and then allow to cool completely.
3)  With a small paring knife carve out the middle of each cupcake.  Put the key lime pie filling into a sandwich bag and make into a piping bag.  Cut one corner and fill in all the centers of the cupcakes.
Now about the filling:  I found a can of pie filling that was very good but there are also key lime pudding mixes you can make.
 
 
Frosting:
1 8oz cream cheese (room temp)
6 tablespoons butter (room temp)
3 cups powder sugar
1 teaspoon fresh lime
Zest of one lime
(you will need another lime to zest over the top of each finished cupcake also)
 
1)  Cream the butter and cream cheese for about 3-5 mins on Med. speed.
2)  Add the lime juice and zest then mix
3)  Add the powder sugar one cup at a time until mixed well.
4) Put finished frosting into a gallon zip lock bag, cut off the corner, and then pipe onto the top of each cupcake.   Add a little extra zest to the top of the frosting!!!
 
Serve or store in the fridge up to three or four days.

No comments:

Post a Comment