Monday, July 9, 2012

Canning Salsa....Yummy!! (Peach)

           Well, I have always wanted to try canning and so this summer as I planted my very first garden I said," OK, I am going to learn to can this year!!!"  I got excited about not having to buy things through the winter because I took the time to can them.  We love salsa in our home so that was the first thing I wanted to learn to can.  I have jalapenos growing in my garden so most of those have been added.  The three kinds of salsa I made is regular, Peach, and Verde.  We have already downed some of these and I am afraid that we will never reach the winter.  :)




In the next couple posts I will give the recipes for these wonderful salsas but first lets talk canning. 
When canning you need a few supplies:
Jars w/ lids
Large pot for hot water bath
Large pot for cooking salsas
Canning tools (I found a pack at Walmart)
Small pot for sanitizing the lids


Preparing for canning:
1.  Fill the large pot with water, you will use this to give the finished product a hot bath
2.  Put all empty jars into the dish washer and run to sanitize them
3.  Put both parts of the lids into the small sauce pan and fill with water just till everything is covered, you will boil these to help sanitize them.  They will need to be hot in order to help the seal take.
4.  Now time to prep veggies.



Peach Salsa:
7cups (ripe) peaches, peeled and diced
1 1/4 cup onion, diced
4 jalapeno peppers, remove seeds and diced
1 red or green bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup white vinegar
2 tbsp. honey
2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. cayenne

1.  Chop and prepare all the ingredients, combine them in a large cooking pot.

2.  Bring your Pot with water to a boil in order to prepare for the water bath.
3.  Bring the small pot of water with the lids to a boil also to sterilize them
4.  Bring the Salsa to a boil then turn the heat down for a low simmer for 3-5 mins.  Any longer will make salsa mushy.
5.  Transfer Hot salsa into hot jars, add lids and rings. 
6.   Add filled jars into hot water bath for ten minutes, remove and allow to cool.

This salsa is so yummy so be prepared to not have it last in your pantry.

1 comment:

  1. Cassie
    Thank you for sharing this Peach Salsa recipe. Jack and I loved it! I will definitely be making some.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete