Thursday, April 26, 2012

Twinkle Twinkle little star.........

        Right now I am working on redoing my little girl's room from a baby room to a little girls room.  Her name is Olivia therefore I love Olivia the pig from Nick Jr.  I had decided that each birthday until she turned tenish I would design after an Olivia the pig book.  I wanted to do her room also as an Olivia the pig theme and I am but not as crazy as I thought about at first.  I am now just using Olivia the pig as an accent and the color hot pink, black, and blue.
 * look at these wonderful paintings I had made by a friend's sister........
 * I also have started her new curtain treatment which is made out of ribbon tied up with a neck tie knot.  It is turning out cute but takes a lot of ribbon.

        But the craft I would  love to share with you will be the lights I have made for her room!!!  They turned out so so cute, I just had to share with everyone.  Now I did find this idea on pinterest of course but the site I found it on did not have directions on how to make them.  I can (most of the time) look at a picture and figure out how it was made.  But I know most are not like that and need step by step instructions.


Items Needed:
1)   A block of pre-cut material ( I got this set at hobby lobby for around $9.99)
2)   A pack of 40count punch plastic cups
3)   A bottle of mod podge craft glue
4)   A small sponge brush
5)   A piece of card board to make a template
6)  One sting of white Christmas lights

 Getting Started:

Step 1:  Making the template, this was the tricky part.  I cut one cup in half and with the help of my sister-in-law we traced around the out line.  But we realized we needed extra material to wrap around the edge of the cup so we retraced and made the drawing wider then the actual cup.   I cut out the template and then traced around it on the back of the material.  I Then cut out that trial piece to make sure it would fit correctly.  It took me two trys to get the correct template made so do not give up.  As you see in my picture of supplies they turned out Great!!

Step 2:  Trace and cut out all the material.
Step 3:  Put the cup on your hand and cover with the glue all around the sides, do not put any on the top or inside.  Then slowly lay one piece of material around the cup. Now you want a little extra on the top and bottom of the cup, so that you can fold them over the edges later.  Rub and  smooth out the material to get out all bubbles.  Do all the cups so that they can dry before step 4.

Step 4:  Once dry it is time to add glue to the material hanging over each end.  I did the closed end of the cups first so that they could dry before going to the open end of the cup.   At the Open end of the cup you will need to make sure you apply the glue to the material and not the cup so that you do not add to much glue.  Smooth out all material around the edges so there are no bubbles.

Step 5:   Now you will need a knife of some kind.  I used a box cutter.  You will cut an X shape into the bottom or closed end of the cup so you can insert one light into the cup.   I made a pattern with the different materials and once one set was hooked onto the string of lights I skipped a few lights and then started over.  I did this to keep the string of lights from being so crowded.

Step 6:   Hang lights where ever you may and enjoy!!!

I hope you have as much fun making these light as I did.  They add so much creativeness to Olivia's new room!!

No comments:

Post a Comment