Thursday, August 30, 2012

Old to New

DO you have furniture that needs a face lift??  I did big time and I just had no money to buy new stuff and I felt stuck until a friend started to give her furniture a face lift.  She would share her finished produces on face book and I said to myself I can do that!!  My first project was a desk, chair, and book shelf for the guest room. Then I worked on my dresser but only painted the drawers.  Moving to the kitchen I re-did a hutch with a material back ground.  My daughter's room has been the last room I have worked on, in fact her dresser has just been finished.  I hope you find some inspiration in these projects I have done.  I loved every moment in working on them.

Of course I painted the desk: bottom cream and the top a green.  I found a glass shop in town that made the top for me so that I could add pictures underneath.  The handles I found on eBay.
Guest room desk


The desk chair was an old chair handed down and I painted and recovered.  I have fallen in love with the material I found for this chair.
 

My dresser happened on accident, I had first found the handles on eBay. Then I found this blue that I loved.  I was planning on doing the whole dresser in the blue but once the drawers where done I realized it would be way to much and stopped at that point.  It took a few days of looking at the finished produce before I feel in love with it. 

Master room dresser
 
My kitchen hutch is one of my most favorite pieces.  I painted it the same green I did the desk and chair.  But I found a piece of material for the backing that helped give it the character that I wanted.  To add material to anything you only need Mod Podge paste and Mod Podge finishing spray.  I was not told about the finishing spray and I used Mod Podge paste on many things such as the hutch and it stuck to my wall and that did not turn out good.  With the spray it will take away the stickiness of the paste.  I got the knobs at Lowes.

Kitchen Hutch
 
Now to the dresser in my little girl's room.  I used many different things to create this look.  I painted the main body a fancy pink.  The top two drawers I covered with a fun material and the rest of the drawers I used chalk board paint.  I thought it would be fun to write on the drawers so I went with the paint.  Now with using Chalk board paint you will need to put many coats on.  With each coat you need to use a very thin sanding paper and sand each layer.  Once you have finished take chalk and coat the top to prepare it for writing on, and if you do not prepare the surface then wiping off the words will not be easy.  The knobs came from Hobby Lobby.

Lit' girls dresser
 
Supplies needed to redo your furniture
 
The piece you want to redo :)
Sand paper
Primer (Zinsser 123)
Paint (latex)
Protecting (water based Polyurethane)
Of course if you are wanting to add a little character with material you will need:
Material
Mod Podge Paste
Mod Podge finishing spray
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment