Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Mini Cherry Pies


My birthday is upon me once again, therefore I took the chance in making three new desserts.  I love, love, love my mom's cherry pie so I decided to make mini pies for my dessert display.  I am a simple- ton when it comes to ingredients.  I use pre-made pie crust and canned Oregon Pie Cherry's even with these none homemade things I find this pie my utmost favorite.  The reason why I really like this brand of pie cherries is that the cherries are not coated in a jelly but stored in water.  Therefore the cherries have a better flavor of real cherries and not canned.

Ingredients:  Makes ten mini pies
2 boxes Pillsbury pre-made pie crust
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
2 can (16oz) Oregon pie cherries, drained
1/4 tsp almond extract
1 tbs butter

Directions:         Oven 375
1.  I used a cupcake pan to set up the pies into, Make sure to spray with spray oil each cup you will be using.  Take out one of the pie crusts and flatten and even roll out just a little thinner.  I then used a cupcake wrapper as a template and pizza cutter, I cut each circle a little wider then the wrapper so I have extra to make the crust.  Next put the cut crust into the cupcake cup. Do not throw away extra pie crust.


2. Now it is time to mix the cherry filling. In a medium bowl add the sugar and flour. Stir until well combined. Add the drained cherries ( drain well, the cherries have plenty of juice inside to give moisture) and almond extract, stir gently until well mixed.
3.  Add 1/4 cup cherry mixture to each pie cup

4.  Add to the top of the filling a small sliver of butter.


5.  Now take the scrapes of crust you have left over and cut into small strips.  Make lattis work on top of each pie. (tip lattis work is when you put stripes one way and on top put stripes going the other way.)

6.  Fold over extra crust and pinch around the circle to make a nice looking crust.  Add a little sugar to the top of each finished pie.

7.  Its time to bake these wonderful creations!!  You will first start with your oven at 375 and bake for ten minutes.

8.  Turn your oven down to 350 and bake another 12  minutes,  cover and bake another 10 minutes.

9.  Remove from the oven and let sit for about twenty minutes.  Use a small knife and go around the edges to lossen the crust.  Lift out gently and serve.  I put whip cream and a little mint on top to make them look pretty!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment